Walking New York

A fat lazy idiot tries to walk every street in Manhattan.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Park Avenue Photos: From Top to Almost Bottom


Accidentally caught some blurred birds in this shot of a big construction project on Park in the 30s.


Pershing Square, best restaurant in the city for car exhaust aficionados, on Park and 41st.


Somewhere under the Met Life building, the seemingly popular Beer Bar.


On Park in the 50s or 60s, I think.


The nicest parts of Park in the 70s and 80s have insanely well-manicured medians with tons of fresh flowers and plants. I don't understand why you still see squirrels struggling with gloom on the Lower East Side when nice space like this is available uptown, but perhaps it's a culture issue.


First sign this neighborhood is about to turn bad: a city bus maintenance warehouse on Park Avenue.


The Metro North comes above ground at about 96th Street, and everything takes a turn for the Harlem. Something about active train tracks just makes most areas seem more run down, even in the suburbs, and up here there's not only an elevated train, there's this huge dark brick wall dividing the north and south lanes on Park, and essentially also dividing scarier Spanish Harlem on the east from still semi-UES and Mount Sinai Hospital area on Madison. Here's a better look at the great wall:



And finally, at my next-to-last block, I spotted further proof that we're not in Kansas anymore:



You just don't see that in midtown.

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because
of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform.

I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a
way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my web page; options trading strategies

 

Post a Comment

<< Home