Walking New York

A fat lazy idiot tries to walk every street in Manhattan.

Friday, July 21, 2006

City in the Water



The vigilant weatherfolk at Gothamist explain why it feels hot after it rains, or something. More importantly, it looks like thunderstorms all weekend, and while I think I'll be able to get a few walks in, they'll probably be short and without pictures.

I wanted to do another Streets You've Never Heard Of today but I need my good camera to do that, and I'm not taking it out in any kind of rain. The picture above is from the bad camera I bought for rainy days and casual walking around. Quite a difference.

Anyway, it looks like it'll be nice during the week, then rainy again next weekend, so I'll just do the best I can. I have some other things to talk about, so there probably will be daily updates still, even if I don't walk. I'm also trying to figure out a way to get a map showing my total progress so far, but the Google Maps Pedometer site I use isn't set up for it (everything has to be connected in single lines). I'm keeping my own fold out map updated with a Sharpe, so I could always just take a picture of that, but I'm hoping for something more precise. So far I think I've covered about 40 miles worth of streets, which is over 10% of the total goal, and that's in just over a week. But I've started out fast, and as the weather gets rainier, then hotter, then colder, there will be more and more 2 or 3 mile walks, and less and less of the 6 mile ones. Still, I might as well walk as much as I can in the summer and the fall, because I've never spent more than a week at a time in winter weather (I'm from Florida), and I still don't know how to use a radiator, so who knows if I'll even survive this. And because I think New York looks great in the snow, I'll have to build (buy) some kind of protective casing (ziploc bag) for my camera to keep up with the photos through the winter.

And just to remind us of nicer times weather-wise, here are a couple pictures that didn't make it into yesterday's posts:



3 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home